Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The truth lies in the middle

And now we argue because I am too permissive (he thinks) while he is too strict (I think). 

An example: Orlando likes to bite hands and feet. He's just a puppy, it's ok. Sometimes he's too excited though and bites too hard. I'm aware that he shouldn't do it as play-biting is can be dangerous in the long run but still, he is only 3 months! G. thinks that he should stop biting my hands ("he does it with your hands but not with my hands...guess why?") and he is right but he's just playing and sometimes I let him play ... and stop him  only when he bites hard. He disagrees.

Sometimes it's difficult to calm him down and G. looses his temper because I'm not doing what "I'm supposed to do" (what?!!).

G. loves him but the fact that he's never had a puppy makes things a bit challenging. And Orlando is not a calm dog. Well, he is calm... when he sleeps! By the way, now he sleeps through the night which is a real blessing. From 11:30- 11:45 p.m. until 7 a.m. He wakes up a wants to play but we know how to stop him now. This morning he woke up earlier but 6:30 is fine, no problem. 

I've had puppies before even though they were not like him who gets really excited for everything and chews & bites all the time. I think he's funny. Very demanding but funny. G. thinks that he needs to learn that there are limits and boundaries but perhaps he is too small to understand. 

Anyway, he is adorable :-)




6 comments:

  1. Sorry, Lola, but I am DEFINITELY with G on this - and I've had loads of puppies. The biting can become a real problem and now is the time to stop it - but then set the specific times permitting the biting (gently, of course). It's not fair on Orlando if you don't stop it. Imagine in a few years when he bites someone really hard - someone who then complains? If it were the UK, the authorities would immediately take him away from you!!!!

    I know it's hard and that he's only 3 months, but the next couple of months are the ones where the rules must be set - for your sake and, more importantly, for his.

    With regard to the calming down bit, the thing to do here is to ignore him. Dogs HATE being ignored but it is the correct way (although, really, I need more information as to why and how he becomes agitated and needs to be calmer).

    Yes, he is adorable though :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are with G. but I won't tell him that you agree with him
    ;-)

    I can see the point and I'm trying to stop him using toys or plastic bottles.

    He gets agitated when he plays , especially after eating. He just wants to play and run and chew. But I guess it's normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha
    Yes, that's fine - but the biting of people, even in play, right now, is not fine. If you don't stop him now, it will be more difficult to stop later. Please listen to G on this?

    ReplyDelete