Monday, March 26, 2012

How the decision was taken

I tried the so-called death meditation
The Death Meditation is an intense process in which I guide people through their last day on earth, counting down the hours, the minutes. Far beyond some morbid exercise, this is a very keen blade that cuts through the mental chatter and detritus that fill yo our heads - I can't reach for what I want because of this, or that, or whatever. It's hard to discover what you really want if you're full of all this useless poison and these self-mutilating thoughts. The Death Meditation gets you focusing with diamond-sharp clarity on what matters. Because all facades, delusions, rackets, and life-sucking trivia pale when you face your impending death. the Buddha said "If you want to know what your future will be like, then look at your life now".
Ana Forrest, Fierce Medicine.

The author "guided" me (well, I followed the description of the process written in the book) through the above mentioned book and it was an interesting inner journey. I don't know if I did the whole process in the right way. I skipped some steps because I didn't have time to do it properly. Or perhaps I didn't want to do it properly. It's a long process and one needs to be completely attuned to whatever arises so if you're tired, stressed out or even angry at someone it's better not to do it. 

However, going "there", experiencing your last day on earth is worth it as it's an opportunity to  check out with  "what you really need to let go and how you need to move ahead". It also helps to bring clarity to life's priorities and to what really matters.

I won't share my death meditation notes here but I think that the core of it is here.

Some people live without checking life priorities for several reasons. I don't blame them, looking at one's life it's harder than just living without inquiring so much. However, if you are willing to learn more about the death meditation I'd recommend Ana Forrest's book. Moreover, if yoga is of interest to you... just read it and let me your thoughts on that.

5 comments:

  1. I'm gonna take a wild guess but I would think that this would prioritise things as follows:
    1. the creatures that you love
    2. the friends that you like and are close to (in a feeling sense, not a physical sense)
    .
    .
    .
    100000001. everything else (including work, where you live, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI LOLA - this sounds fascinating and scary and eye opening and so intense. Wow. Thanks for the share.
    Love to you
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andy: well, it depends. The process works differently on people. It also depends on the stages of one's life, i guess.

    @Gail: it's scary but I think it's also worth. Give it a try and you'll find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The five last things:

    1) Forgive me

    2) I forgive you

    3) thank you

    4) I love you

    5) goodbye


    From "The Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine" (state of the art research, I would say)

    It all comes down to quite easy, and yet difficult, things.

    ReplyDelete